Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Where will it end?

Kia Ora,

Reports yesterday of two persons committing a burglary here in Christchurch or on the outskirts who then attacked the two victims including an elderly lady.

As the economy is set to get worse despite the claims of a recovery, there will be only more & more violent crime. It won't affect those already at the bottom as they already struggle. What you are going to see more off is those considered middle class as the lack of financial IQ is going to harm them.

How does this affect security?

First there is my favourite subject the requirement for a culture of risk assessment.

It just doesn't happen here in NZ. For example I have a set of circumstances I relate into how I carryout my risk assessment which virtually always makes Kiwis think when I put it to them. Unfortunately I didn't use them when giving my submission to parliament over the new security personnel bill.

First scenario is dealing with kindergarten aged kids. I was in a situation doing a show for kids this age when I was asked if I was wearing my body armour. My reply was & is "Yes because first under health & safety if I own or are issued protective equipment I have to justify not wearing it. Second, most murders in NZ are domestic related & where children are involved emotions are that much higher". The answer I get is invaribly "Oh I didn't think of it like that".

Second scenario is the time I arrived to find the group they needed a 'guard' for actually needed at least 10 bodyguards at appropriate remuneration due to threat. & there was a threat, but information passed on was nil so no threat/risk assessment could be carried out.

Third scenario I use is  major sports events until  & including 2011.

Then there is the Soccer world cup in South Africa. Again there are concerns because of the attacks on the Togo soccer team in Angola. South Africa is a different kettle of fish & are used to good security oir have the ability to put it in place.

Then we get to NZ & the Rugby World Cup 2011. Because there is a believe that it will never happen here not much will change despite assurance all will be well. Any terrorist will be guided to the biggest group of people around. It is all about the experience here, not the security. This is all despite the fact terrorist act do & have occurred here in the past.

The biggest threat is the believe there is no threat. I am aware of at least one person in the country I would consider a likely suicide bomber. He is the last person many would think of.

No comments:

Post a Comment