Sunday, January 10, 2010

Passion

Kia Ora,

People say to me why do you get so upset about the security industry here in NZ. Just forget it. We know that there is going to be a terrorist attack some time, so just leave it & wait until then because the NZ industry & authorities have no idea. Then you will be able to step in & pick up the pieces.

The reason why I get so upset is my passion is in security & it is what I am extremely good at. It now ties in with my other passion of investing & financial education. Hence this blog so I can put my frustration to a wider community.

Now I see in the news that NZ is going to help  the US with research & implimenting security to counter terrorism. As these are the two countries that I would say have the least knowledge in this area, I don't see it stopping much.

The first thing that you need to help counter terrorism is understand the culture (hearts & minds - ironically the NZ army leads the world in this),something the US in particular does not do period. NZ at times shows this as well when dealing with culturally different groups. We are only focussed on British heritage & wrongs to Maori (as someone of Maori descent this needs to be sorted, as someone in the security/military community it needs to be sorted as histroy shows that the longer you leave it the more violent it is likely to be), but we do not take into account many older cultures or cultural norms.

I.E. Was once called to a guard job to find they were a group that would normally be protected by 20 -30 armed bodyguards & we should of being at least 10 bodyguards of at least my experience level on site. In stead there was just me paid as a security guard. Very insulting to this group.

The next point from this collusion on counter terrorism is  talk of new technology. At the end of the day all the technology in the world is only an aid to the person on the ground. At the higher threat levels it is all about numbers of people & the training to pick up anything out of the ordinary. Anything a person can create, another person can defeat.

No comments:

Post a Comment