Thursday, November 18, 2010

Life's little messages!

Kia Ora,

Obviously I have missed life's big messages or I would be wildly rich & making a difference right now. But sometimes life has a way of sending messages to confirm what you have said.

So it happened yesterday. No sooner had I said those targeted little issues are connected to the chronically bad driving in this country in my previous post than I was nearly a victim of that chronically bad driving.

Where I am based is a road that used to have a much higher speed limit. It has now been lowered(for a few years actually) to 50kmh. Not that you would believe it as it is not uncommon for vehicles to use it as a drag strip & I am not just talking about the boy racers.

It means that exiting this site can be dangerous. On one end is a wide corner where you hear approaching vehicles brake heavily from one direction to be able to get around. The situation yesterday was as I exited with a vehicle just appearing at the corner I had to brake as a turning truck was taking longer than normal to get in. No problems if the vehicle at the corner was doing the speed limit.
Crashproof Your Kids: Make Your Teen a Safer, Smarter Driver
After checking my speed to avoid the truck then starting to continue I suddenly hear a horn been leant on & see this vehicle approaching very fast.

As usualy the reaction of the person was like I was at fault. As one occupant here says, now they just carry on in normal speed to emphasize the point of the speed limit. This I did & the vehicle which had been speeding continued to tail gate down the road. So after they turned off I went back & found their registration(rather distinctive vehicle) so it can be reported to the police.

Hopefully this will bring the 'revenue gathering' to our street. Though a constant action they take at one end of this area seems to have no effect on people.
Rules of the Road 2-Disc DVD Set: Interactive Driver's Ed Course
This is very topical at present here in New Zealand due to a bad weekend of road accidents resulting in deaths & in particular cycle deaths.

One programme to teach people about road rules was highlighted on TV last night with Invercargil having pre schoolers learning the rules & been given a high visability vest. A very early start to education on road rules.

But will it work?

When I cycle I wear a high visability vest, yet drivers still don't see you. As a driving writer said yesterday "NZ drivers only tend to look ten metres in front where as drivers overseas look or plan up to hundreds of metres in front. Something I have been told off for doing by a New Zealand passenger.
The Driving Book: Everything New Drivers Need to Know but Don't Know to Ask
It is always interesting how life sends these little messages as if to ram home a lesson or point. But like the police, when working security the first thing that comes to mind when people are breaking driving laws "what else are you doing or are up too?"

It is the little things that give you away.

As I recount often, I was once nearly hit by a bad driver whilst legally crossing the road. By reporting them to the police it transpired that first the vehicle wasn't supposed to be on the road, then the driver had outstanding fines & finally the two occupants when pulled over had just come from a burglary.

What lesson will life bring to my attention next?

http://foxhoundsecurity.co.nz

No comments:

Post a Comment